Wednesday, March 4, 2009




My eldest Son David is in the 9Th grade, he is currently attending Kennedy Jr High. I'm a little nervous about him entering High School next year but I know it's part of life and everyone (yes despite what my kids think even me) has done it, we have all moved on from Jr High to High School, or as the mom in me calls it now The BIG BOY school. A part of me wants David to stay young so he can believe me when I tell him everything is going to be OK, and I want him to believe that I can fix everything.. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm scared. High School is NOT the way it was before, things are different for our kids. I thought I had it tough, my parents not understanding, or them being to OLD FASHION. But I see the kids now a days and I WORRY.. The pressures are far greater for them now then it ever has been.
I see David struggling lately with the MOM trying to keep him little, and his want to be more of a MAN. With that said.. David has been thrown a dilemma that only he can get through and as much as I want to help him, I think I'm going to leave this one up to him. (note to self I said THINK). With so much going on at Kearns High School, the situation there has still not settled down, and the pressures of gangs and violence is still strong there. Our family is as K-TOWN proud as the next Kearns family. But sending my son there in these times.. I'm not so sure anymore. David now has the option of going to Cottonwood High School which has a great football program and a great academic program to help athletes get to the next level both with sports and academics or Kearns High School which has all that also and ALL his friends. He has been going and weight lifting with Cottonwood but still wears his Kearns High stuff everywhere else. All his friends are calling him SELL OUT, and he is always commenting to me that Kearns is in his heart, and that he thinks he should just stay there.
I pray the Lord helps David with his first BIG BOY decision, and that he makes the right one. I pray the Lord keeps him safe no matter where he ends up. I pray that the peer pressure and the want of being in with THE COOL crowd doesn't steer his mind into a decision.. I pray the Lord helps me help David with his transformation into Manhood.. I pray the Lord lets David know that I will always be here for him, even if I need to stand back and watch him learn some hard lessons..
We will see where he ends up, and hopefully if you have time you can come and watch a game of his.. GO DAVID.. Momma loves you..

1 comment:

Sinai said...

Wow, high school already? Girl, I hear you. My biggest fear is what they have to deal with. I am all about opportunity. I know exactly what you are going through. My son Nohe'a goes to a different Elementary school and let's just say it's not easy with all the other kids, but it's a great opportunity for him to learn and be challenged. Like you mentioned, safety would be another factor. I think with all the problems and what not and being poly, I probably would make my son go to Cottonwood. It will be hard at first, but in no time he'll make new friends and it will work out. Hope everything works out in David's best interest. Keep us posted!!!