I've been gone for a couple of days to SFO.. I went for a funeral for a very dear man Lepuha Kula. I've grown up with his kids, besides the whole related thing that we have in common, we also grew up together as neighbors. They use to live right next door for about 10 years, a lot of my childhood memories involve them in one way or another. I love these girls they have been here for my family through it all, they came for my mother funeral in '99, they made it out for my dads 70th birthday in '08 and they came without a question to both events.
When our family recieved the call about the passing of the their father, my dad was ready to go. He looked at me and said " What time do I leave?". Our fathers have been the best of friends for a long time, they share a bond with boxing that noone else can seem to figure out, they look like little kids when they would talk about it or teach it to someone. My father has always told stories about Lepuha being the ONLY one that believed in him and his dream for his son Samson to be the Champ.. It's a hard sport where you train with people but when it comes down to it, it's just YOU in the ring..
I remembered when I was little both our families would go to Kearns Rec to swim, back then there was only the one pool (in the old building), we went on Mondays because it was Family Night and it only cost .50 cents to go in (wow that price dates me).. Our parents use to sit from above to watch us and only Lepuha would get in the pool with all us kids, he use to throw us from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end of the pool, even if you didnt know how to swim (which I didnt at the time).. I literally learned how to swim, just so he could throw me into the deep end and I not be scared.. LOL.. Lepuha was a great man, who loved kids and always took the time to play with us, remember there were 2 families which meant 8 kids begging to play.. He taught us to have humility in everything we do, and to just play with your kids because when they grow up that is what they will remember..
My heart goes out to the Kula girls for their loss, I thank them for including his best friend my dad in their program and I thank them for sharing my childhood with me and for sharing their dad with us NEIGHBOR kids..
When our family recieved the call about the passing of the their father, my dad was ready to go. He looked at me and said " What time do I leave?". Our fathers have been the best of friends for a long time, they share a bond with boxing that noone else can seem to figure out, they look like little kids when they would talk about it or teach it to someone. My father has always told stories about Lepuha being the ONLY one that believed in him and his dream for his son Samson to be the Champ.. It's a hard sport where you train with people but when it comes down to it, it's just YOU in the ring..
I remembered when I was little both our families would go to Kearns Rec to swim, back then there was only the one pool (in the old building), we went on Mondays because it was Family Night and it only cost .50 cents to go in (wow that price dates me).. Our parents use to sit from above to watch us and only Lepuha would get in the pool with all us kids, he use to throw us from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end of the pool, even if you didnt know how to swim (which I didnt at the time).. I literally learned how to swim, just so he could throw me into the deep end and I not be scared.. LOL.. Lepuha was a great man, who loved kids and always took the time to play with us, remember there were 2 families which meant 8 kids begging to play.. He taught us to have humility in everything we do, and to just play with your kids because when they grow up that is what they will remember..
My heart goes out to the Kula girls for their loss, I thank them for including his best friend my dad in their program and I thank them for sharing my childhood with me and for sharing their dad with us NEIGHBOR kids..

3 comments:
good pictures
That's so sad!!! I remember the dad...awww. He's in a better place and I'm sure so happy to see Finau, that was her name right? The nicest lady.
oh..so sorry to hear about Theresa and Melanie's dad's funeral. Tisa's right..he's in a better place now.
Hi Tisa:)
Post a Comment